Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Blog Hop-Interview with C.M. Michaels

The past few years have been full of high profile reads—50 Shades of Gray, Twilight, and more. Love them or hate them, you have to admit you have at least heard of them.

As Independent Authors we all dare to dream we will be next, and well let’s face it, you never know ... right?  With some hard work and the right marketing any one of us could be the next most talked about Author.

With that thought I jumped on this Hop, what is a blog traffic hop? Well I didn’t know until I asked. Basically, it’s an Independent Authors game of tag.

One author posts, and then tags five other authors, who each link back to them. Exponentially it is a marketing gold mine, and you my fair reader have hopefully just increased your to read list. Finding new and exciting authors you may never have found otherwise. Some of us are still writing, others are just being released.

Either way, for you Fiction Lovers, a treasure trove awaits. I’d like to thank Carol Marvell and Terry Tally Venters, who included me on their blog hop last week. You can read their posts here:
http://billiemccoy.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/week-20-next-big-thing-blog-hop.html
http://territalleyventers.blogspot.com/2012/11/blog-hop-interview-with-terri-talley.html

You can buy Carol’s books and learn more about her here:
Blog:  http://billiemccoy.blogspot.com.au/

You can buy Terry’s books and learn more about her here:
Website: http://www.elementsofmystery.com/
Blog:  http://www.territalleyventers.blogspot.com/

In this particular hop I have answered 10 questions where you get to learn about my current WIP (Works in Progress) as well as some goodies as to my process. I hope you enjoy it!
If this or any other items pique your interest, please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions.

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS
1: What is the working title of your book?
Dangerous Waters
2: Where did the idea come from for the book?
It all started with my female protagonist. I envisioned a kindhearted, naive women with plenty of emotional baggage leaving her small, suffocating town to attend a big city college. I wanted the supernatural characters to play a central role in the story from the beginning, and to have the audience fall in love with them in spite of what they must due to survive. And I wanted something far different from the typical (and predictable) girl meets boy paranormal romance. The stakes are much higher in my novel, no one fully understands what is happening or what it might mean, and love interests emerge from the most unexpected places.
3: What genre does your book fall under?
I consider it Urban Fantasy, but the unique supernatural elements, steamy romantic trysts and gripping action will appeal to fans of the urban fantasy, paranormal and suspense genres alike.
4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
    I’ve got to be loyal to my wonderful cast who participated in the cover shoot.
5: What is the synopsis of your book?
For Emily Waters, a nature loving small-town girl with an overprotective father, heading off to Boston University to study conservation biology is a dream come true—until a chance encounter catapults her into a mythical world she’d do anything to escape.
The latest victim in a rash of abductions near campus, Emily is brutally attacked before being rescued by a powerful new friend, whose family takes her in and prepares her for the unimaginable life she must now embrace. Clues soon emerge that Emily may not be entirely human, and her physical transformation awakens goddess-like powers that her new family cannot begin to explain. Dealing with her human first love, the not-so-platonic relationship with her coven “sister” and her new supe sort-of-boyfriend further complicates matters. Not to mention being secretly hunted by the psychopaths who attacked her. And as the only known offspring of a once all-powerful race, the climactic battle is only the beginning of her journey, one that ends with her leading a war against all humankind.
6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Dangerous Waters is being published by Freya’s Bower, part of Wild Child Publishing.
7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Roughly four months. The second revision actually took longer due to the extensive editing.
8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
The best comparison I can think of is Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld series.  
9: Who or What inspired you to write this book
            I credit my amazing wife for giving me the kick in the rear I needed to quit talking about writing my own novel and do it. If not for her encouragement and support Dangerous Waters would never have been written.
10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
            The Prologue provides a tantalizing glimpse into what’s to come further into the series while leaving the reader with more questions than answers.

2 comments:

  1. Love your answers Chad, and your casting of characters. Looking forward to reading Dangerous Waters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol!

      Once my book is out I'll have fun with my readers picking out a "dream cast", but for now I wanted to give props to my MSU theatre students who helped me out so much on the cover :)

      Delete